Saturday, November 26, 2011

Reunited with an old friend Jon and struck gold

     Many years ago, in the mid-70's, an old friend Jon Sump came to visit me in Redwood City, CA. We had a good visit and talked over old times together, he still lived in our hometown of Stockton and invited me to come down with him so we could hang out and visit. When I got to his house, I noticed right away that things were different in his home. On the dining room table, there was a Bible and note pad by his chair. His television was on, there was a program called The 700 Club on most of the time. Jon told me he no longer drank I thought, What did I get myself into ? Jon's brother Terry came by and we talked a while, then Terry and I took off and went someplace and had drinks, this was the start of a three day party.                                                                                                                                   Then I went back to Redwood City, but I couldn't get over the change in Jon. Everything Bad I learned, Jon was my mentor. I got drunk with Jon first, I smoked pot with Jon first and so on. I was at home the next day flipping channels and came across the show Jon was watching. So I thought, I'll watch this and see what his angle is. A guitar duo came on and sang a song. There name was Lamb and their song was The Sacrifice Lamb, the lyrics  rang so true, and humbled me, then the host of the program Pat Robertson, challenged me to pray a prayer with him, and I thought, what have I  got to lose I'm in a living hell now. Back home with my father, not much future just looking to get high and block the world out. So I prayed, Lord I don't know if You are real, but if you are please let me know.
     Things began to change that very evening. My father was plastered and in his, And another thing mood. my friend Terry stopped by out of nowhere. My father started in on me again, and Terry said Let's go. I stayed at his place, and Jon came by, he saw I had a Bible and asked about it . then he invited me to church, I told him that I prayed for God to show me the right place. He said that's the right way to go. but come to church with me, it's in an old motorcycle shop, the tiles were ripped up so you  had to walk on squiggly dried glue on the floor. I thought that was great and went. And I have not left. Jon and I became close friends again, and this time he helped guide me on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment